MD Anderson Events
*CANCELED* Address by William R. Brody, MD, PhD
William R. Brody, MD, PhD, president of the Salk Institute, will give an institution-wide address:
Academic Leadership: Ten Things I Wish I Knew When I Started
Sponsored by Women Faculty Programs.
Lunch for for first 50 attendees.
Dr. William R. Brody, President of the Salk Institute, is an acclaimed physician-scientist entrepreneur and university leader. He joined the Salk Institute on March 2, 2009 after 12 years as president of The Johns Hopkins University. He is a national figure in efforts to encourage innovation and strengthen the U.S. economy through investments in basic research and education. Most recently, he has written and spoken extensively around the country to promote a fuller discussion of health care reform.
Renowned for his achievements in biomedical engineering, Dr. Brody has over 100 publications and two U.S. patents in the field of medical imaging, and has made contributions in medical acoustics, computed tomography, digital radiography, and magnetic resonance imaging. These contributions have led to his recognition by numerous national and international organizations.
Dr. Brody is a member of the Institute of Medicine and the National Academy of Engineering. He is a fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers, the American College of Radiology, the American College of Cardiology, the American Heart Association, the International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, the American Institute of Biomedical Engineering, and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. In 2010, he was awarded the Gold Medal of the Radiological Society of North America for his contributions to medical imaging science.
Dr. Brody received his B.S. and M.S. degrees in electrical engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and his M.D. and Ph.D., also in electrical engineering, from Stanford University. Following post-graduate training in cardiovascular surgery and radiology at Stanford, the National Institutes of Health, and the University of California, San Francisco, Dr. Brody was associate professor and then professor of radiology and electrical engineering at Stanford University (1977-1986). He has been a co-founder of three medical device companies: Digirad (acquired by Agfa); Resonex (acquired by General Electric); and Biopsys Medical (acquired by Johnson and Johnson). He served as the president and chief executive officer of Resonex Inc. from 1984 to 1987.
Dr. Brody serves on the board of directors of IBM, Biomed Realty Trust, and T. Rowe Price Mutual Funds, and is a member of the board of the W.M. Keck Foundation. He formerly served on the President's Foreign Intelligence Advisory Board, the Science Board of the Food and Drug Administration, the Scientific Management Review Board of the National Institutes of Health, the Corporation of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and the board of trustees of Stanford University.
Date: 9/8/14, 12pm to 1pm
Time: 9/8/14, 12pm to 1pm
Location: Cancer Prevention Building, Floor 8, Rooms 5-8
Speaker: William Brody
Sponsor: Elizabeth Travis
Contact: Abby Mitchell - (713) 792-6142 - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Training in Brain Tumor Research Seminars presents Raymond Sawaya. M.D.
- John H. Blaffer Lecture Series
- Cheves Smythe Distinguished Lecture in Education and Geriatrics Medicine
- Center for Cancer Epigenetics Distinguished Lecture
- Cancer Systems Imaging presents "New Directions in Targeting theTumor Microenvironment" Anil Sood, M.D., Betty Asche Murray Distinguished Professor, Dept. Gynecologic Oncology & Reproductive Medicine, MD Anderson Cancer Center
- John H. Blaffer Lecture Series
- Center for Translational and Public Health Genomics Distinguished Lecture Series
- Introduction to New eResearch IBC Software
- Integrative Medicine Program Lecture Series
- Lecture in Cancer Biology
- Global Navigation
- About Us
- How You Can Help
- Children's Art Project
- Contact Us
- Patient and Cancer Information
- Cancer Information
- Patient Information
- Care Centers & Clinics
- Children’s Cancer Hospital
- Services & Amenities
- Clinical Trials
- News and Publications
- Education and Research
- Departments, Programs & Labs
- Research at MD Anderson
- Education & Training
- Resources for Professionals
- For Employees
- Employee Resources
- Doing Business
- Vendors & Suppliers
- Strategic Industry Ventures
- State of Texas
- State of Texas Home Page
- Statewide Search (TRAIL)
- State Comptroller - Where the Money Goes
- Texas Homeland Security
- The University of Texas System
- Institution Resume
- Legal, Policy and Reports
- Reports to the State
- Legal Statements & Site Policies