MD Anderson Events
Energy Balance Journal Club - Animal Models and Physical Activity
Date: 10/11/13, 12pm to 1pm
Time: 10/11/13, 12pm to 1pm
Location: Pickens Academic Tower, Floor 3, Room 2 (FCT3.4166)
Format: All Employee Meeting
Speaker: Dr. Rosie Schmandt & Dr. Zobeida Cruz-Monserrate
Speaker Bio: Dr. Rosie Schmandt’s current research interests include the determination of the molecular mechanisms underlying the detrimental effects of stress and obesity on both ovarian and endometrial tumor growth, and how behavioral changes, including diet and exercise, can reverse these effects. In collaboration with Dr, Karen Lu and Dr. Samuel Mok her lab-based studies aim to characterize the direct mechanisms by which diet and exercise modulate the growth of tumor cells and prevent cancer recurrence in mouse models of gynecologic tumors. Zobeida Cruz-Monserrate Ph.D., is an instructor in the Department of Cancer Biology. She is a Cancer Cell Biologist specializing in understanding the mechanisms involved in the development of pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma (PDAC) in order to develop measures for its prevention and early detection. In this regard, she has developed an animal model of high-fat diet induced PDAC and has identified compounds that prevent cancer in this model. Dr. Cruz-Monserrate has also utilized the enzyme Cathepsin E which is specifically expressed early in PDAC to develop novel therapeutic and diagnostic (theranostic) probes. These probes with proper development will be useful in the clinic toward the goal of early detection that will save lives. Her dedication to making a difference in patients drives the translational aspects of her work.
Sponsor: Center for Energy Balance in Cancer Prevention and Survivorship
Contact: Nazim Ali - (713) 792-2431 - email@example.com
EB Jo Club 10.11.13 Flier.pdf (PDF, 218 KB)
- Russian Blue Diamond Jewelry Show
- $6.00 Jewelry Sale
- Bootcamp of the MInd, Body & Spirit: Stress Management 101 - Tips for Tough Times
- 2016 Outstanding Research Publication Awards Presentation
- Clinical Research Billing Compliance
- ERO Special Seminar - Chao Lu, Faculty candidate
- Department of Cancer Biology Chalk Talk - Sara Courtneidge, Ph.D.
- Distinguished Lectureship in Cancer Biology - Sara Courtneidge, Ph.D.
- Center for Inflammation and Cancer Distinguished Lecture Series
- Advances in Oncology: Institutional Grand Rounds