MD Anderson Events
Energy Balance Journal Club - Sound Mind, Sound Body: A Role for BDNF in Cancer Prevention
Sound Mind, Sound Body:
A Role for BDNF* in Cancer Prevention
(*brain-derived neurotrophic factor)
Friday, June 14, 2013
12:00 – 1:00pm
Pickens Floor 3 Ballrooms 2 and 7
Lunch provided to the first 20 attendees
- Can a Stimulating Life Ward Off Cancer? By Jocelyn Kaiser
- Cao, L., et al. (2010). Environmental and genetic activation of a brain-adipocyte BDNF/leptin axis causes cancer remission and inhibition
- Kappeler, L. & Meaney, M. (2010). Enriching stress research.
The Center for Energy Balance in Cancer Prevention and Survivorship’s monthly trans-disciplinary journal club aims to bring researchers from multiple disciplines together to examine different energy balance-related topics.
Center for Energy Balance in Cancer Prevention and Survivorship is directed by Karen Basen-Engquist, PhD, MPH.
Date: 6/14/13, 12pm to 1pm
Time: 6/14/13, 12pm to 1pm
Location: Pickens Academic Tower, Floor 3, Room 2 (FCT3.4166)
Speaker: Rosemarie Schmandt
Speaker Bio: Dr. Schmandt’s current research interests include the determination of the molecular mechanisms underlying the detrimental effects of stress and obesity on both ovarian and endometrial tumor growth, and how behavioral changes, including diet and exercise, can reverse these effects. In collaboration with Dr, Karen Lu and Dr. Samuel Mok, her lab-based studies aim to characterize the direct mechanisms by which diet and exercise modulate the growth of tumor cells and prevent cancer recurrence in mouse models of gynecologic tumors.
Sponsor: Center for Energy Balance in Cancer Prevention and Survivorship
Contact: Stacie Scruggs - (713) 745-5335 - email@example.com
EB Jo Club 6.14.13 Flier.pdf (PDF, 152 KB)
- S2M Science to Medicine Seminar Series - "ERK-dependent AKT dephosphorylation: Trastuzumab treatment highlights a novel druggable ErbB2 signaling pathway in breast cancer cells"
- Department of Translational Molecular Pathology Distinguished Speaker Seminar Series
- Collective Soul Symposium - Embracing the care of the human spirit of patients with advanced illness and their caregivers
- How to Start a Successful Breast Radioactive Seed Localization Program in Your Institution
- Thoracic, Head and Neck Cancer Research Seminar
- 2016 GME-Macy Foundation Summit
- Non-coding RNAs and Cancer: From Biology to Technology
- Medical Oncology and Hematology 2016: Muldisciplinary Approaches that Improve Coordination of Care
- MD Anderson Anesthesiology & Neuroscience February Seminar Series
- Pancreas Cancer Seminar Series