MD Anderson Events
Energy Balance Journal Club - The Effects of Screen Time Behaviors on Food and Beverage Intake.
Date: 6/13/14, 12pm to 1pm
Time: 6/13/14, 12pm to 1pm
Location: Pickens Academic Tower, Floor 3, Room 2 (FCT3.4166)
Format: All Employee Meeting
Speaker: Dr. Elizabeth Lyons
Speaker Bio: Elizabeth Lyons, PhD, MPH, is an Assistant Professor in the Institute for Translational Sciences at the University of Texas Medical Branch. Dr. Lyons’ research focuses on both sides of energy balance, investigating ways that technology influences energy expenditure and energy intake. She is particularly interested in the potential of motion-controlled video games to increase physical activity, decrease sedentary behavior, and improve mood. Dr. Lyons most recent research concerns the double-edged sword of narrative, which can produce both positive effects (distraction from fatigue and increased motivation during exercise) and negative effects (increased snack food intake during screen time). She is currently conducting several pilot randomized controlled trials that investigate supervised video game-based exercise across a variety of platforms (tablets, handheld consoles, and motion-controlled consoles).
Sponsor: Center for Energy Balance in Cancer Prevention and Survivorship
Contact: Nazim Ali - (713) 792-2431 - firstname.lastname@example.org
EB Jo Club 6.13.14 Flier.pdf (PDF, 423 KB)
The better the story, the bigger the serving narrative transportation increases snacking during screen time in a randomized trial..pdf (PDF, 191 KB)
The non-advertising effects of screen-based sedentary activities on acute eating behaviours in children, adolescents, and young adults. A systematic review.pdf (PDF, 727 KB)
- The Daily Dozen Series: Foods to Eat Each Day - Fruits
- Employee Screening Night - Mammography
- Children's Art Project Pop-Up Shop
- When can I retire? Find out when TRS comes to campus.
- Practicing with Compassion Improves Outcomes for Providers and Patients: Mastering Resilience at Work
- Gina's Jewelry
- Organization for Women - Conversations that Matter
- FREE Afternoon at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
- “Do Everything for My Child” – The Nexus of Medical, Ethical and Legal Decision Making
- Life After: Parents of Children with Special Needs