MD Anderson Events
Energy Balance Journal Club - The Effects of Screen Time Behaviors on Food and Beverage Intake.
Date: 6/13/14, 12pm to 1pm
Time: 6/13/14, 12pm to 1pm
Location: Pickens Academic Tower, Floor 3, Room 2 (FCT3.4166)
Format: All Employee Meeting
Speaker: Dr. Elizabeth Lyons
Speaker Bio: Elizabeth Lyons, PhD, MPH, is an Assistant Professor in the Institute for Translational Sciences at the University of Texas Medical Branch. Dr. Lyons’ research focuses on both sides of energy balance, investigating ways that technology influences energy expenditure and energy intake. She is particularly interested in the potential of motion-controlled video games to increase physical activity, decrease sedentary behavior, and improve mood. Dr. Lyons most recent research concerns the double-edged sword of narrative, which can produce both positive effects (distraction from fatigue and increased motivation during exercise) and negative effects (increased snack food intake during screen time). She is currently conducting several pilot randomized controlled trials that investigate supervised video game-based exercise across a variety of platforms (tablets, handheld consoles, and motion-controlled consoles).
Sponsor: Center for Energy Balance in Cancer Prevention and Survivorship
Contact: Nazim Ali - (713) 792-2431 - firstname.lastname@example.org
EB Jo Club 6.13.14 Flier.pdf (PDF, 423 KB)
The better the story, the bigger the serving narrative transportation increases snacking during screen time in a randomized trial..pdf (PDF, 191 KB)
The non-advertising effects of screen-based sedentary activities on acute eating behaviours in children, adolescents, and young adults. A systematic review.pdf (PDF, 727 KB)
- Russian Blue Diamond Jewelry Show
- $6.00 Jewelry Sale
- Bootcamp of the MInd, Body & Spirit: Stress Management 101 - Tips for Tough Times
- 2016 Outstanding Research Publication Awards Presentation
- Clinical Research Billing Compliance
- ERO Special Seminar - Chao Lu, Faculty candidate
- Department of Cancer Biology Chalk Talk - Sara Courtneidge, Ph.D.
- Distinguished Lectureship in Cancer Biology - Sara Courtneidge, Ph.D.
- Center for Inflammation and Cancer Distinguished Lecture Series
- Advances in Oncology: Institutional Grand Rounds