MD Anderson Events
Everyday Miracles: Ex-Votos - On Display
Recognized as “devotional paintings giving thanks to a saint or deity for a miraculous healing or blessing”—the interesting and colorful Ex-votos exhibit will be on display at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in The Learning Center, Mays Clinic, April 28-June 7.
Ex-votos typically consist of three basic elements: the depiction of the event, a short description, and an illustration of the saint or deity. Ex-votos also document the treatment of diseases such as tuberculosis, smallpox and cancer throughout history.
The tradition, which began in 15th century Italy, is still very active today. These expressive works provide insight into how people coped with disease and healing.
The exhibit, mounted in The Learning Center, will be available for viewing during The Learning Center’s operating hours: Monday through Friday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
An online companion to the traveling exhibit can be viewed on the National Library of Medicine exhibitions page at http://www.nlm.nih.gov/exhibition/exvotos. The online exhibit includes a brief history of ex-votos as well as an online gallery representing a variety of traditions and time periods.
For more information on ex-votos or the traveling exhibit, please contact Julia Jenkins, senior librarian, at 713-794-1187.
Date: 4/28/14 to 6/7/14
Time: 4/28/14, 12am to 6/7/14, 12am
Location: Levit Family Learning Center, Mays Clinic, Floor 2, near The Tree Sculpture, ACB2.1120
Format: Community Event
Sponsor: Patient Education
Contact: Julia Jenkins - (713) 794-1187 - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Light the Night Walk
- Mental Health Awareness Week Welcome Table
- PIKNIC Survivorship Series Part 1 Coping with Cancer and Its Treatment: 20 Tips for Improving Your Body Image
- Mental Health Awareness Week Resource Fair
- Stress Management, presentation by Anne-Marie Bellows, LMSW
- Join us in a celebration to raise breast cancer awareness.
- Seventh Annual Halloween Bake Sale to Benefit Adopt a Family hosted by Cytogenetics Laboratory
- 2015 Komen Houston Race for the Cure
- Run for Wellness - The Heights
- Lung Cancer Alliance Lung Love Walk Houston
- Global Navigation
- About Us
- How You Can Help
- Children's Art Project
- Contact Us
- Patient and Cancer Information
- Cancer Information
- Patient Information
- Care Centers & Clinics
- Children’s Cancer Hospital
- Services & Amenities
- Clinical Trials
- News and Publications
- Education and Research
- Departments, Programs & Labs
- Research at MD Anderson
- Education & Training
- Resources for Professionals
- For Employees
- Employee Resources
- Doing Business
- Vendors & Suppliers
- Strategic Industry Ventures
- State of Texas
- State of Texas Home Page
- Statewide Search (TRAIL)
- State Comptroller - Where the Money Goes
- Texas Homeland Security
- The University of Texas System
- Institution Resume
- Legal, Policy and Reports
- Reports to the State
- Legal Statements & Site Policies