MD Anderson Events
Stem Cells and Cancer Seminar Series
Stem Cells and Cancer Seminar Series - Guest speaker: Charles M. Perou, Ph.D., Endowed Professor, title of presentation: "The Genetic and Cellular Origins of the Intrinsic Subtypes of Breast Cancer."
Date: 9/20/12, 12:30pm to 1:30pm
Time: 9/20/12, 12:30pm to 1:30pm
Location: South Campus; 7435 Fannin Street, SCR1 Rooms 4,5,6
Directions: Accessible by MD Anderson shuttle. Driving - from Medical Center take Fannin south make left turn on OST, make first right turn - driveway to back of facility, parking available: surface lot.
Facilitator: Sendurai Mani
Speaker: Charles M. Perou
Speaker Bio: Dr. Perou is a member of the Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, the Carolina Center for Genome Sciences, and the Scientific Director of the UNC Genomics and Bioinformatics Core Facility. He received his Ph.D. in Cellular and Molecular Biology from the Department of Pathology at the University of Utah (1996) where he cloned and characterized the human Chediak-Higashi Syndrome gene. He next performed his postdoctoral training in the laboratory of David Botstein at Stanford University (1997-2000) where he began his genomic studies of human tumors using DNA microarrays. These genomic analyses resulted in the identification of novel subtypes of human breast tumors that predict patient survival times and response to therapy. Dr. Perou's laboratory at UNC is focused on using genomics, genetics, and animal models to decipher the underlying biology of the molecular subtypes of breast cancer, and then using this biological information to develop therapies that are specifically targeted against each of these distinct subtypes of breast cancer.
Sponsor: Stanley R. Hamilton
Contact: Mark Milam - (713) 834-6031 - email@example.com
- Thoracic, Head and Neck Cancer Research Seminar
- Training in Brain Tumor Research Seminars presents Felix Nwajei, Ph.D.
- Therapy Guided by p53 Dynamics in Single Cells
- Training in Brain Tumor Research Seminars presents Pratip Bhattacharya, Ph.D.
- S2M Science to Medicine Seminar Series ": In vivo discovery of targets for cancer immunotherapy"
- Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR): Peer Review
- MD Anderson Anesthesiology & Neuroscience December Seminar Series
- Sarcoma Patient Educational Conference: Ask The Experts
- 2017 Oncologic Emergency Medicine Conference
- Orbital Oncology adn Oncologic Oculofacial Plastic Surgery: A Multidisciplinary Approach