MD Anderson Events
Stem Cells and Cancer Seminar Series
Stem Cells and Cancer Seminar Series - Guest speaker: Charles M. Perou, Ph.D., Endowed Professor, title of presentation: "The Genetic and Cellular Origins of the Intrinsic Subtypes of Breast Cancer."
Date: 9/20/12, 12:30pm to 1:30pm
Time: 9/20/12, 12:30pm to 1:30pm
Location: South Campus; 7435 Fannin Street, SCR1 Rooms 4,5,6
Directions: Accessible by MD Anderson shuttle. Driving - from Medical Center take Fannin south make left turn on OST, make first right turn - driveway to back of facility, parking available: surface lot.
Facilitator: Sendurai Mani
Speaker: Charles M. Perou
Speaker Bio: Dr. Perou is a member of the Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, the Carolina Center for Genome Sciences, and the Scientific Director of the UNC Genomics and Bioinformatics Core Facility. He received his Ph.D. in Cellular and Molecular Biology from the Department of Pathology at the University of Utah (1996) where he cloned and characterized the human Chediak-Higashi Syndrome gene. He next performed his postdoctoral training in the laboratory of David Botstein at Stanford University (1997-2000) where he began his genomic studies of human tumors using DNA microarrays. These genomic analyses resulted in the identification of novel subtypes of human breast tumors that predict patient survival times and response to therapy. Dr. Perou's laboratory at UNC is focused on using genomics, genetics, and animal models to decipher the underlying biology of the molecular subtypes of breast cancer, and then using this biological information to develop therapies that are specifically targeted against each of these distinct subtypes of breast cancer.
Sponsor: Stanley R. Hamilton
Contact: Mark Milam - (713) 834-6031 - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lymphoma/Myeloma Update for Patients: What's New for 2016? In San Antonio
- S2M Science to Medicine Seminar Series - "ERK-dependent AKT dephosphorylation: Trastuzumab treatment highlights a novel druggable ErbB2 signaling pathway in breast cancer cells"
- Department of Translational Molecular Pathology Distinguished Speaker Seminar Series
- Collective Soul Symposium - Embracing the care of the human spirit of patients with advanced illness and their caregivers
- How to Start a Successful Breast Radioactive Seed Localization Program in Your Institution
- Thoracic, Head and Neck Cancer Research Seminar
- 2016 GME-Macy Foundation Summit
- Non-coding RNAs and Cancer: From Biology to Technology
- Medical Oncology and Hematology 2016: Muldisciplinary Approaches that Improve Coordination of Care
- MD Anderson Anesthesiology & Neuroscience February Seminar Series