MD Anderson Events
Stem Cells and Cancer Seminar Series
The Stem Cells and Cancer Seminar Series brings nationally and internationally known researchers to present their research in the area of stem cells and EMT.
Date: 11/21/13, 12pm to 1pm
Time: 11/21/13, 12pm to 1pm
Location: Hickey Auditorium, Main Building, Floor 11 (R11.1400)
Facilitator: Sendurai Mani, Ph.D.
Speaker: Zena Werb, Ph.D.
Speaker Bio: Dr. Zena Werb received her B.Sc. in Biochemistry from the University of Toronto, and her Ph.D. in Cell Biology from Rockefeller University. After postdoctoral studies at the Strangeways Research Laboratory in Cambridge England, she was recruited to the faculty of the University of California, San Francisco, where she is currently Professor and Vice-Chair of Anatomy. Dr. Werb is a member of the UCSF Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center and the The Eli and Edythe Broad Center of Regeneration Medicine and Stem Cell Research at the University of California, San Francisco. She is recognized internationally for her fundamental discoveries about the molecular and cellular bases of extracellular matrix proteolysis and their roles in the normal functioning and pathogenesis of tissues. Her studies have led to new paradigms about the role of the cellular microenvironment and intercellular communication in breast development and cancer. Her honors include a Guggenheim Fellowship, the FASEB Excellence in Science Award, the Charlotte Friend Award of the American Association for Cancer Research and the E.B. Wilson Medal from the American Society of Cell Biology. Dr. Werb is an elected member of the National Academy of Sciences and of the Institute of Medicine, and a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. She has the honorary degree of Doctor in Medicine from the University of Copenhagen. She has been an elected officer of the American Society for Cell Biology and the American Association for Cancer Research. She has published more than 400 papers. She serves or has served on the editorial boards of Science, Cell, Cancer Cell, Developmental Cell and Genes and Development.
Contact: Mark Milam - (713) 834-6031 - firstname.lastname@example.org
ZWerb Flyer.pdf (PDF, 163 KB)
- Thoracic, Head and Neck Cancer Research Seminar
- S2M Science to Medicine “Decoding of Network Attacking Mutations Rewiring Cancer”
- Fast Track Orientation
- S2M Science to Medicine Seminar - “Regulation of self-renewal in Cancer stem cells”
- BTC Distinguished Lecture Series
- Cancer Prevention Summer Trainee Exposition
- MD Anderson Summer Experience Final Event
- Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR): Collaborative Science
- S2M Science to Medicine Seminar Series - “Genetic and nongenetic determinants of single-cell programs in human gliomas”
- Department of Molecular & Cellular Oncology Seminar