MD Anderson Events
18th Annual Melvin L. Samuels Lectureship: Stem Cells & Prostate Cancer, Owen Witte, MD
The 18th Annual Melvin L. Samuels Lectureship welcomes Dr. Owen Witte, who will present a talk titled Stem Cells & Prostate Cancer.
Date: 4/12/13, 10am to 11am
Time: 4/12/13, 10am to 11am
Location: AT&T Auditorium, Main Building, Floor 2 (B2.4750)
Format: All Employee Meeting
Speaker: Owen Witte, MD
Speaker Bio: Owen Witte received his undergraduate degree from Cornell and his MD from Stanford University. After completing his postdoctoral research at MIT, he joined the faculty at UCLA where he presently is an Investigator of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Distinguished Professor of Microbiology, Immunology and Molecular Genetics. He is the Director of the Eli and Edythe Broad Center of Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell Research at UCLA. He has made significant contributions to the understanding of human leukemias, immune disorders, and epithelial cancer stem cells. His work includes the discovery of tyrosine kinase activity for the ABL gene and the demonstration of the BCR-ABL oncoproteins in human leukemias. Recent work has concentrated on defining the stem cells for epithelial cancers of the prostate and other organ sites to help define new types of therapy for these diseases. His work utilizes advanced whole body imaging techniques like Positron Emission Tomography (PET) to monitor cellular immune functions during stem cell and lymphocyte based immune therapies. Dr. Witte is a member of the National Academy of Sciences, the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, and the Institute of Medicine. Currently serving on several editorial and advisory boards, he was elected to the Board of Directors for the American Association for Cancer Research in 2010, and has recently been appointed by President Obama to the President’s Cancer Panel.
Contact: Tatianna Robles - (713) 563-9349 - firstname.lastname@example.org
- ERO Seminar Series - Wenyi Wei
- Sprint for Life 2016
- Halo House Foundation 5K and 1K runs for Adults & Children
- Health Disparities Research Faculty Candidate Seminar: Culture, Health Disparities, and Psychosocial Interventions: A focus on Asian American Cancer Survivors by Dr. Qian Lu
- Clinical Research-OneConnect Town Hall
- Achieving Communication Excellence (ACE) Lecture Series
- When Can I Retire from TRS? Details about Your TRS Retirement at 1MC!
- Clinical Research Billing Compliance
- Medical World Americas
- Life After: Science and Medicine