MD Anderson Events
18th Annual Melvin L. Samuels Lectureship: Stem Cells & Prostate Cancer, Owen Witte, MD
The 18th Annual Melvin L. Samuels Lectureship welcomes Dr. Owen Witte, who will present a talk titled Stem Cells & Prostate Cancer.
Date: 4/12/13, 10am to 11am
Time: 4/12/13, 10am to 11am
Location: AT&T Auditorium, Main Building, Floor 2 (B2.4750)
Format: All Employee Meeting
Speaker: Owen Witte, MD
Speaker Bio: Owen Witte received his undergraduate degree from Cornell and his MD from Stanford University. After completing his postdoctoral research at MIT, he joined the faculty at UCLA where he presently is an Investigator of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Distinguished Professor of Microbiology, Immunology and Molecular Genetics. He is the Director of the Eli and Edythe Broad Center of Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell Research at UCLA. He has made significant contributions to the understanding of human leukemias, immune disorders, and epithelial cancer stem cells. His work includes the discovery of tyrosine kinase activity for the ABL gene and the demonstration of the BCR-ABL oncoproteins in human leukemias. Recent work has concentrated on defining the stem cells for epithelial cancers of the prostate and other organ sites to help define new types of therapy for these diseases. His work utilizes advanced whole body imaging techniques like Positron Emission Tomography (PET) to monitor cellular immune functions during stem cell and lymphocyte based immune therapies. Dr. Witte is a member of the National Academy of Sciences, the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, and the Institute of Medicine. Currently serving on several editorial and advisory boards, he was elected to the Board of Directors for the American Association for Cancer Research in 2010, and has recently been appointed by President Obama to the President’s Cancer Panel.
Contact: Tatianna Robles - (713) 563-9349 - email@example.com
- Russian Blue Diamond Jewelry Show
- $6.00 Jewelry Sale
- Bootcamp of the MInd, Body & Spirit: Stress Management 101 - Tips for Tough Times
- 2016 Outstanding Research Publication Awards Presentation
- Clinical Research Billing Compliance
- ERO Special Seminar - Chao Lu, Faculty candidate
- Department of Cancer Biology Chalk Talk - Sara Courtneidge, Ph.D.
- Distinguished Lectureship in Cancer Biology - Sara Courtneidge, Ph.D.
- Center for Inflammation and Cancer Distinguished Lecture Series
- Advances in Oncology: Institutional Grand Rounds