MD Anderson Events
Energy Balance Journal Club - Sound Mind, Sound Body: A Role for BDNF in Cancer Prevention
Sound Mind, Sound Body:
A Role for BDNF* in Cancer Prevention
(*brain-derived neurotrophic factor)
Friday, June 14, 2013
12:00 – 1:00pm
Pickens Floor 3 Ballrooms 2 and 7
Lunch provided to the first 20 attendees
- Can a Stimulating Life Ward Off Cancer? By Jocelyn Kaiser
- Cao, L., et al. (2010). Environmental and genetic activation of a brain-adipocyte BDNF/leptin axis causes cancer remission and inhibition
- Kappeler, L. & Meaney, M. (2010). Enriching stress research.
The Center for Energy Balance in Cancer Prevention and Survivorship’s monthly trans-disciplinary journal club aims to bring researchers from multiple disciplines together to examine different energy balance-related topics.
Center for Energy Balance in Cancer Prevention and Survivorship is directed by Karen Basen-Engquist, PhD, MPH.
Date: 6/14/13, 12pm to 1pm
Time: 6/14/13, 12pm to 1pm
Location: Pickens Academic Tower, Floor 3, Room 2 (FCT3.4166)
Speaker: Rosemarie Schmandt
Speaker Bio: Dr. Schmandt’s current research interests include the determination of the molecular mechanisms underlying the detrimental effects of stress and obesity on both ovarian and endometrial tumor growth, and how behavioral changes, including diet and exercise, can reverse these effects. In collaboration with Dr, Karen Lu and Dr. Samuel Mok, her lab-based studies aim to characterize the direct mechanisms by which diet and exercise modulate the growth of tumor cells and prevent cancer recurrence in mouse models of gynecologic tumors.
Sponsor: Center for Energy Balance in Cancer Prevention and Survivorship
Contact: Stacie Scruggs - (713) 745-5335 - email@example.com
EB Jo Club 6.14.13 Flier.pdf (PDF, 152 KB)
- Therapy Guided by p53 Dynamics in Single Cells
- Training in Brain Tumor Research Seminars presents Pratip Bhattacharya, Ph.D.
- S2M Science to Medicine Seminar Series ": In vivo discovery of targets for cancer immunotherapy"
- Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR): Peer Review
- MD Anderson Anesthesiology & Neuroscience December Seminar Series
- Sarcoma Patient Educational Conference: Ask The Experts
- 2017 Oncologic Emergency Medicine Conference
- Orbital Oncology adn Oncologic Oculofacial Plastic Surgery: A Multidisciplinary Approach
- Diagnostic Pathology Course
- Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR): Publication Practices and Responsible Authorship