Past issues | Subscribe | About
A library computer is like an office computer, minus the distractions.
Login with your MyID to access your personal common drive, temporarily save documents to the desktop, and use the full Outlook client. Plus, Chrome is now available as an alternative browser, and you can use the Remote Desktop application to access your full desktop workstation.
Help is on-hand to assist with literature searching, setting up your iPad, and more.
Consult with an expert for help searching databases, finding Impact Factors, citations counts, free iPad apps, and more.
Private study rooms offer a quiet workspace for meetings and presentations.
Each of the three available collaborative rooms accommodates 2-6 people for up to four hours and can be booked up to thirty days in advance. BOOK A ROOM HERE
Last month, the library offered a series of classes on how to get started in scientific publishing. Here are a few tips that we learned:
- Review the author guidelines/instructions on your chosen journal’s website for the scope and audience of the journal and timetable for publication.
- Review the journal’s impact with Journal Citation Reports Impact Factors.
- Find trends in your subject area by creating a citation report in Web of Science. This will help to determine the top journals in a subject area.
- A strong abstract not only influences whether your paper is reviewed by a journal for publication, but whether or not it will be findable after publication.
- As an author, always use the same name so you get the citation credit! Be sure your name is consistently listed the same way in every manuscript and database listing.
- Only submit a manuscript to one journal at a time!
- Determine how authorship will be handled before you start writing.
- Create a timetable when you are writing. Factor in time for people who may be assisting you like the Research Medical Library (literature searching), Medical Graphics (figures), Scientific Publications (editing) and Biostatisticians.
Learn more from our Spring Into Publishing Series here.
WEBINBAR: Preparing an EndNote Bibliography for Publication
Wednesday, April 9, 11-11:30am
Tuesday, April 15 1-2:30pm, FCT21.6008
Tuesday, April 22, 1-2:30pm, FCT21.6008
Wednesday April 23, 9:00am – 10:30am
Searching Like a Pro for Nurses
April 24, 2014 11:00am – Noon
Schedule Departmental Sessions on any of the above topics by contacting April Aultman Becker: email@example.com; 713-792-2293.
Classes are held in the library classroom (FCT21.6008) unless otherwise noted. Find the latest class schedule, class descriptions, and links here.
Webinars are live online classes that can be viewed from your desktop. Check out our upcoming webinars and archived webinars.
If you have questions about classes, please contact April Aultman Becker at firstname.lastname@example.org or 713-792-2293.
For up-to-the-minute information about the Research Medical Library, follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MDAndersonLib
NewsBytes is released the first day of each month.
For the web version and the archive of past articles click here.
To subscribe or remove yourself from this email alert service click here.
For comments or questions concerning NewsBytes, please contact Clara Fowler by email (email@example.com) or phone (713-745-1538).
- Global Navigation
- About Us
- How You Can Help
- Children's Art Project
- Contact Us
- Patient and Cancer Information
- Cancer Information
- Patient Information
- Care Centers & Clinics
- Children’s Cancer Hospital
- Services & Amenities
- Clinical Trials
- News and Publications
- Education and Research
- Departments, Programs & Labs
- Research at MD Anderson
- Education & Training
- Resources for Professionals
- For Employees
- Employee Resources
- Doing Business
- Vendors & Suppliers
- Partners & Affiliates
- State of Texas
- State of Texas Home Page
- Statewide Search (TRAIL)
- State Comptroller - Where the Money Goes
- Texas Homeland Security
- The University of Texas System
- Institution Resume
- Legal, Policy and Reports
- Reports to the State
- Legal Statements & Site Policies