As this exhibit demonstrates, the leukemic
patient is at risk for a large variety of CNS complications. Imaging is
a vital link in the work-up of these patients. A thorough familiarity
with the different complications and their imaging appearance is
essential in order to make the correct diagnosis and avoid a potentially
harmful misdiagnosis. All pertinent clinical information such as prior
and current therapy, presenting signs and symptoms, and any lab data
must be considered along with the radiologic findings if an accurate
evaluation is to be made in the leukemic presenting with signs of
- Azzarelli B, et al. Pathogenesis of
central nervous system infiltration in acute leukemia. Arch Pathol
Lab Med. 101:203-205, 1977.
- Banna M, et al. Orbital granulocytic
sarcoma, AJNR 12:255-258,1991.
- Barnett MJ, et al. Granulocytic
sarcoma of the brain: A case report and review of the literature,
Radiology 160:223-225, 1986.
- Bleyer WA. Neurologic sequelae of
methotrexate and ionizing radiation: A new classification, Cancer
Treatment Reports, 65 (Supplement l):89-98, 1981.
- Brooks HW, et al. Chloromas of the
head and neck in childhood, Arch Otolaryngol. 100:306-308, 1974
- Carmack MA, et al. Multifocal
leukoencephalitis caused by Varicella-Zoster virus in a child with
leukemia: Successful treatment with Acyclovir. Pediatr Infect Dis J
- Chung CK, et al. Glioblastoma
multiforme following prophylactic cranial irradiation and
intrathecal methotrexate in a child with acute lymphocytic lukemia.
Cancer 47:2563-2566, l981.
- Feinberg WM, et al. Cerebrovascular
complications of L-asparaginase therapy. Neurology 38:127-133, 1988.
- Freireich EJ, et al. A distinctive
type of intracerebral hemorrhage associ at_ed with "blastic
crisis" in patients with leukemia, Cancer 13:146-154, 1960.
- Gay CT, et al. Reversible treatment
related leukoencephalopathy, J Child Neurol 4:207-212, 1989.
- Gastaut J-A, et al. Computerized axial
tomography in the study of intracranial complications in hematology,
Cancer 41:487-501, 1978.
- Graus F, et al. Cerebrovascular
complications in patients with cancer, Medicine 64:16-35,1985.
- Grisold W, et al. Necrotizing
myelopathy associated with acute lymphoblastic leukemia, Acta
Neuropathol (Berl) 234-235, 1980.
- Grossman L, et al. Central nervous
system toxicity of high-dose cytosine arabinoside. Medical and
Pediatric Oncology 11:246-250, 1983
- Kingma AK, et al. Magnetic resonance
imaging of the brain and neuropsychological evaluation in children
treated for acute lymphoblastic leukemia at a young age, Am J Pedia
Hematol/Onco 15:231-238, 1993.
- Lentz D, et al. MRI in Varicella-Zoster
virus leukoencephalitis in the immunocompromised host, JCAT
- Levine GA, et al. CNS involvement as
the initial manifestation of acute leukemia, Cancer 31:959-962,
- Levy R, et al. Granulocytic sarcoma (chloroma)
of the temporal bone, Internat'l J Pediac Otorhinolaryng.
- Lockman LA, et al. Dural venous sinus
thrombosis in acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Pediatrics 66: 943-947,
- McKinstry CS, et al. Bone marrow in
leukemia and aplastic anemia: MR imaging before during and after
treatment. Radiology 162:701-707, 1987.
- Miller L, et al. Cerebellar atrophy
caused by high-dose cytosine arabinoside: CT and MR findings. AJR
- Moore EW, et al. The central nervous
system in acute leukemia, Arch Int Med 105:451-467. 1960.
- Moore SG, et al. Bone marrow in
children with acute lymphocytic leukemia: MR relaxation times.
Radiology 160:237-240, 1986.
- Pagani, JJ, et al. Central nervous
system leukemia and lymphoma: Computed tomographic manifestations,
AJR 137:1195-1201, 1981.
- Pomeranz SJ, et al. Granulocytic
Sarcoma (Chloroma): CT Manifestations, Radiology 155:167-170, 1985.
- Regelson W, et al. Incidence of second
primary tumors in children with cancer and leukemia: A Seven-Year
Survey of 150 consecutive autopsied cases, Cancer 18:58-72, 1965.
- Sowers JJ, et al. Radiographic
features of Granulocytic Sarcoma (Chloroma), JCAT, 3:226-233, 1979.
- Stevens SK, et al. Repopulation of
marrow after transplantation: MR imaging with pathologic
correlation, Radiology 175:213-218, 1990.
- Truwit CL, et al. MR imaging of
reversible Cyclosporin A-induced neurotoxicity, AJNR 12:651- 659,
- Viscoli C, et al. Listeria
Monocytogenes brain abscesses in a girl with acute lymphoblastic
leukaemia after later central nervous system relapse, Eur J Cancer
- Wolk RW, et al. The Incidence of
central nervous system leukemia in adults with acute leukemia,
Cancer 35:863-869, 1974.
- Leukemia, 5th Edition, Eds: Henderson
ES and Lister TA, W. B. Saunders, Philadelphia, 1990.